Former presidents laud George H.W. Bush's dedication to public service

"Reagan was an intuitive politician, while Bush was analytical and in some ways more political".

Bush's presidency saw another symbolic milestone in the end of the Cold War arms race: the end of USA nuclear-weapons testing. The burial site is in a gated plot near a creek where the couple's daughter Robin, who was 3-year-old when she died of leukemia in 1953, Houston's KTRK-TV reported. Read here for more on Bush's life and legacy.

In his post-presidency years, Bush turned to philanthropy - he joined forces with Clinton to raise funds for victims of the 2004 Asian tsunami and the 2010 Haiti quake.

Despite his success on the worldwide stage, he was denied a second term over a weak economy, losing the 1992 election to upstart Democrat Bill Clinton, a little-known governor from Arkansas. With the election of George W. Bush in 2000, the senior Bush joined John Adams as both President and Presidential Father.

He also worked with ex-presidents Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Barack Obama and son George to raise money for hurricane victims in Texas in 2017.

He served as Ronald Reagan's vice president for eight years, before entering the White House in 1989, pledging to make the U.S. a "kinder, gentler" nation. And yet, he believed that the nation was looking for a change.

Bush's domestic legacy was centered around his signature "thousand points of light" initiative that recognized the heroic accomplishments of little-known Americans.

Bush, the 41st president of the United States, lived longer than any of his predecessors. Remember Lincoln, going to his knees in times of trial and the Civil War and all that stuff.

About 70 students gathered at the Presidential Pond outside the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum and sang "Amazing Grace", according to Texas A&M's the Battalion, a student newspaper. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor who ran as the Republican candidate for vice president in 2008, tweeted: "What a life ... full of love of family ... strong faith ... nothing's more important".

The 41st president had been suffering from poor health for years, announcing in 2012 he had vascular parkinsonism. Bush reportedly pulled the lever for his friend Hillary Clinton.

George Herbert Walker Bush was sworn into a world he called "rich with promise".

Related news