Google to shut down Google

Google to shut down Google

Google to shut down Google

Google also announced that, "we can not confirm which users were impacted by this bug". As for why it's being shut down, Google says that Google+ has "low usage and engagement", with 90 percent of G+ user sessions lasting less than five seconds. Google CEO Sundar Pichai was allegedly briefed on the company's plan not to notify users about the bug.

The company said the bug was located in the Google+ People API.

"However, we ran a detailed analysis over the two weeks prior to patching the bug, and from that analysis, the profiles of up to 500,000 Google+ accounts were potentially affected".

Google said it would continue to offer private Google+ powered networks for businesses now using the software.

According to The Journal, Google discovered the data breach in March this year and, although the bug has since been patched, the company decided not to disclose the news for fear of "immediate regulatory interest" and potential reputational damage.

"It has not achieved broad consumer or developer adoption, and has seen limited user interaction with apps", wrote Ben Smith, Google's vice president of engineering, in a blog post on Monday.

Google said it found the bug as part of an internal review called Project Strobe, an audit started earlier this year that examines access to user data from Google accounts by third-party software developers.

Android data access is being restricted to app developers. Users who granted third-party applications access to their public data also had some private data shared.

Google's excuse is that it found no evidence of any of the data being misused, however, it also has no way of being sure of that.

The bug gave apps access to information on a person's Google+ profile that can be marked as private. The bug is said to have affected as many as 500,000 accounts, though the company says it found "no evidence" that any data was actually misused.

The company will wind down Google+ over 10 months, targeting an August 2019 shutdown.

More information will be available over the coming months, including ways that users can download and migrate their data.

"The Data Protection commission was not aware of this issue and we now need to better understand the details of the breach, including the nature, impact and risk to individuals and we will be seeking information on these issues from Google", it said.

Related news