Atletico Madrid attacker Griezmann: Ballon d'Or must go to Frenchman

Atletico Madrid attacker Griezmann: Ballon d'Or must go to Frenchman

Atletico Madrid attacker Griezmann: Ballon d'Or must go to Frenchman

After being nominated for the Ballon d'Or on Monday, Cristiano Ronaldo is now the only player in history to have been consecutively nominated for the award - a staggering 14 years in a row.

Fowler has admitted it's unlikely he will produce another season like a year ago, but he has warned sides Salah is still a force to be reckoned with.

We've always questioned him last season about chances that he missed - so even scoring 44 goals he still missed a lot of big chances. "You must get on the ball in the middle'". "He's still a good player, he's still an excellent player but to replicate what he did a year ago will be unbelievable", Fowler told Sky Sports News.

For a while, the award was combined with world football's governing body FIFA's Best Award, but the association was cut off in September 2016.

Real Madrid have dominated the 30-man list of nominations for the Ballon d'Or with Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema, Thibaut Courtois, Isco Alarcon, Marcelo, Luka Modric, Sergio Ramos, and Raphael Varane all included.

"In any case, that is how I see it".

'Afterwards, there are votes, opinions, different judgements.

The 33-year-old forward, who ended his nine-season stay at Real Madrid by moving to Juventus for £99million in the summer, is a five-time victor of the award.

"I'm not saying he's having a bad year so far", Fowler said. The victor of the prestigious Ballon d'Or organised by France Football magazine will be announced on December 3.

Nonetheless, the mere inclusion in the 10-man list is likely to bring hype both to players who are already household names, like Borussia Dortmund's Christian Pulisic and Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold, and rising stars such as 17-year-old Brazilian prodigy Rodrygo.

Related news