Indonesia To Stop Searching For Earthquake, Tsunami Victims On Thursday

Indonesia To Stop Searching For Earthquake, Tsunami Victims On Thursday

Indonesia To Stop Searching For Earthquake, Tsunami Victims On Thursday

The death toll following the quake and tsunami that struck Indonesia in September rose to 1,763 on October 7, according to officials cited in news reports.

As of Thursday, the official death toll was 1,424, with 113 people missing.

Besson said the team was unable to reach the victim, who was trapped under thick concrete.

Survivors from the quake-damaged Indonesian city of Palu give a thumbs-up sign before the Royal New Zealand Air Force C-130 Hercules aircraft that evacuated them yesterday to Balikapapan.

National Disaster Management Agency spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said that among the victims, 1,413 were from Palu city, the hardest-hit in twin disasters, Xinhua news agency reported.

Across the city, nine schools were destroyed, 22 teachers were killed and 14 were missing, the disaster agency said, adding that 140 tents had been set up for classes.

Thousands of those still missing are thought to be from the towns of Baleroa and Petobo, which was swept away following the 7.5 magnitude natural disaster and subsequent tsunami last month, leaving mass destruction in its wake.

Rocked by back-to-back disasters of an quake and a tsunami, the scale of the devastation on Sulawesi island is still being uncovered.

There are fears that vast numbers of decomposing bodies could be buried beneath Petobo and Balaroa - two areas virtually wiped off the map - and authorities have warned survivors to steer clear as they brace for more macabre discoveries.

Rescuers who recovered the bodies told Hidayat his sister was found holding Aisah close.

"They were found in front of my brother's house opposite the mosque", Mr Rahman said.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman of Indonesia's Mitigation and Disaster Agency (BNPB), holds a second news conference to brief reporters, September 29, 2018.

Parker says Australian officials are ready to help the Indonesians transfer the aid further in the disaster zone.

Australia's first delivery of urgent supplies will arrive soon in Indonesia to help up to 10,000 people displaced by the natural disaster and tsunami.

"What is the benefit for us Indonesian people, especially in this time of catastrophe", Fadli Zon, deputy speaker of parliament from the opposition Gerindra party, said on Twitter, taking issue with government spending on the meeting.

Two of his soldiers emerge from the ditch with the bag sagging in the middle but looking too light to be a corpse - they said they had found the heads of two adults and one child.

Nugroho said about 67,000 military and police have been deployed to the area to maintain security and accelerate distribution of aid to survivors in outlying areas.

Several non-governmental groups were also arriving.

Oxfam had sent water treatment units and purification kits to Palu and Swiss aid teams on the ground were providing drinking water and emergency shelter, both said in statements Saturday.

The official toll has surpassed 1,400 deaths with thousands injured and 70,000 residents displaced. But they also had hope more aid would pour into the city of Palu and the surrounding Donggala district on the island of Sulawesi. The archipelago sees frequent earthquakes and occasional tsunami.

Related news