Texas surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

Fabrizio Stabile, 29 died just one day after he was diagnosed with Naegleria fowleri, according to a GoFundMe page created by his family.

CDC is assisting the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District on an investigation into a potential Naegleria fowleri exposure at an aquatic facility.

Doctors first thought he was suffering from meningitis, but tests revealed he had Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, when it was too late to treat the infection.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has since closed down the park and is testing the waters for the amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri (nee-GLEHR'-yah FOW'-lur-eye), the organism that was ruled as the cause of Stabile's death. Stabile tried to sleep it off, but the ailment wouldn't go away.

Stabile, an avid surfer and snowboarder, had worked for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection in addition to Bass Pro Shops, an outdoor equipment establishment in Atlantic City, according to his obituary. "Even so, this drug is not easily accessible", Stabile's friend wrote.

Multiple reports confirm that he had returned home from a visit to the BSR Cable Park Surf Resort several days prior. Normally, people are infected when contaminated water enters through their nose, according to the agency.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is now investigating the case and BSR has voluntarily ceased operation until conclusive results are available.

CDC has already collected water samples and hopes to deliver conclusions by the end of the week. Parsons added that his park follows all CDC "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

An artist's rendering of the newly opened wave pool at BSR Cable Park Surf Resort, in Waco, where Stabile is feared to have picked up the brain-eating amoeba that killed him (Picture: BSR Cable Park Surf Resort) Naegleria fowleri pictured under a microscope. He also said he and his workers' "hearts and prayers" are with family and friends of Stabile and the New Jersey surf community.

Parsons said the park has voluntarily closed pending the results of the CDC testing.

Related news