Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

Surfer dies from brain eating amoeba after visiting Waco, Texas, resort

He is believed to have contracted Naegleria fowleri during a visit to the BSR Cable Park in Waco, Texas, where he swam in the wave pool. The rare, devastating infection usually occurs in warm, fresh water, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC told CTVNews.ca that it is assisting the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District on the investigation into a potential Naegleria fowleri exposure at an aquatic facility in Texas. "We hope to have results by the end of the week", a spokeswoman for the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District told the broadcaster on September 30.

Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page. The next morning the sharp pain had still not gone away and his mother called 911, according to a GoFundMe account.

Stabile, whose family said he was an avid outdoorsman who loved to surf, had been at the park on vacation.

Officials at the CDC, meanwhile, are investigating the water at the BSR Cable Park, reported KBTX.

The CDC says that it isn't possible to contract Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water.

It remains unclear when exactly Stabile visited the park, but infection symptoms from the parasite typically flare up between one and nine days after contact. Stabile had previously been surfing in the pool - but it is unknown at this time whether he contracted Naegleria Fowleri from the water in the Waco facility.

On Thursday, he tested positive for Naegleria fowleri - an infection that has only affected 34 people between 2008 to 2017, according to the CDC.

A GoFundMe page has been set up as The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation, where more than US$22,000 of a $50,000 target has been raised so far.

The CDC reports the amoeba is usually found in warm freshwater, such as lakes, rivers or hot springs.

However, people will not be infected by Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water.

"Naegleria fowleri infects people when water containing the ameba enters the body through the nose".

Related news