Water park closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating' bacteria

Water park closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating' bacteria

Water park closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating' bacteria

After complaining of a headache, his mother was unable to wake him the next morning, and he was rushed to hospital.

Symptoms of the amoeba are similar to bacterial meningitis.

"As family and friends huddled in the ICU waiting room, we were delivered a devastating blow", said a GoFundMe page set up in his memory. "By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America".

A landlocked surf resort closed on Friday after a man who visited died from what is commonly known to as a "brain-eating amoeba".

The disease, according to the CDC, is nearly always fatal, with only four people out of 143 cases have survived the infection. Just four people infected in the last 55 years have survived.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reportedly testing BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort for Naegleria fowleri. Parsons added that his park follows all CDC "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

Stabile is believed to have contracted Naegleria fowleri during a visit to the BSR Cable Park in Waco, Texas.

The owner of the resort, Stuart E. Parsons Jr., said he will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Stabile's death, who died in New Jersey earlier this month after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri.

The CDC states that the brain-eating amoeba is found in warm freshwater, such as lakes, rivers and hot springs. Once the amoeba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is usually fatal.

Normally, people are infected when contaminated water enters through their nose, according to the agency. Preliminary testing results should be ready later next week.

Related news