Everson Griffen being evaluated at hospital as Minnesota Vikings concerned about well-being

Everson Griffen being evaluated at hospital as Minnesota Vikings concerned about well-being

Everson Griffen being evaluated at hospital as Minnesota Vikings concerned about well-being

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen is being treated at a mental health facility after a series of odd incidents have his family and his team anxious about his well-being.

As he was being transported by ambulance, however, paramedics reported that Griffen jumped out of the vehicle "because he was in fear that someone was going to shoot him". The police report also references another incident in Griffen's home neighborhood.

According to a police report obtained by Paul Walsh of The Star Tribune, Griffen's wife said he left home on September 16 after he awoke suddenly in the middle of the night, which is something he does at times when fighting "demons" in his head. No gun was ever found, according to the report, and Griffen was allowed by police to leave the hotel on his own accord. At one point, the report states staff members were moved to the back of the office while Griffen "paced around the lobby". Mike Zimmer was predictably tight-lipped about the situation, but some concerning details surrounding Griffen's absence have begun to emerge, involving a freaky incident with a gun at a Minneapolis hotel.

A Vikings staffer called Minnetrista police to check up on Griffen's family at the home, the report said.

Vikings director of security Kim Klawiter requested a welfare check for Griffen's wife, Tiffany, and their three children after a recent pattern of erratic and disruptive behavior at team headquarters had caused concern.

The personal matter Everson Griffen was dealing with last weekend apparently was serious. He said he was uncertain whether the team offered additional resources to Griffen beyond demanding an evaluation before he returns to the team facility. Pico called Griffen paranoid and prone to repeating himself.

Griffen eventually left Hotel Ivy and was never arrested.

Griffen showed up shirtless outside the house of teammate Trae Waynes, who lives on the same street.

"So we're going to do everything possible that we can, not only for Everson, but to help everybody on our team and, quite honestly, with their families as well".

Turns out, he went to a nearby gas station where he saw a man he recognized - but did not know well.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said Monday night in a statement that the team was "currently focused on Everson's well-being and providing the appropriate support for him and his family".

The police incident report notes that no criminal charges are forthcoming.

The 30-year-old Griffen is married with three sons, the youngest of whom was born about a month early on Thanksgiving Day last year shortly before the Vikings played at Detroit. He signed a four-year contract extension last summer.

Police say they found Griffen outside his home, "yelling" and making odd comments.

Related news