Twenty hygiene cases against Egypt hotel where British couple died

Twenty hygiene cases against Egypt hotel where British couple died

Twenty hygiene cases against Egypt hotel where British couple died

Mrs Cooper was taken to hospital five hours later in a "state of fainting" and, although heart recovery work took place for 30 minutes, she died at 17:12.

Alison Cope, a Thomas Cook customer staying at the Steigenberger, said the company had "fobbed off" guests who had complained "about sickness, illness, low level standards of the food, the hygiene of the glasses".

Sven Hirschler, senior director of corporate communications for Deutsche Hospitality, which owns the Steigenberger brand, said there was not an unusual level of illness among the 1,600 guests staying at the hotel.

Egyptian authorities dismissed suggestions of any criminal activity.

Receive IOL's top stories via WhatsApp by sending your name to 0745573535.

Banners for Thomas Cook travel agency are seen at the Enfidha Airport in Enfidha, Tunisia, February 2018.

The local governor's office said the cause of Mr Cooper's death was "a sudden stoppage of the heart muscles and respiratory failure", with his wife dying due to "a stoppage of circulation and respiratory failure".

The couple's daughter, Kelly Ormerod, said they were "fit and healthy" before their holiday and in "perfect health" just hours before being taken ill. "I don't believe anyone has entered the room, but something has happened in that room and caused them to be taken away from us".

Dieter Geiger, general manager at Steigenberger Aqua Magic, told AFP the hotel was "deeply saddened" by the incident. "A reasonable person can't help but wonder if there's a link between that illness and these deaths", she says.

The Steigenberger Aqua Magic was last audited by Thomas Cook in July and received an overall score of 96 percent.

Ormerod said her father had "died in the hotel room" in front of her, and praised the tour operator, adding: "I can't praise them enough for what they've done". "It seems to be the same complaints coming back time and time again", Mr Harris told Sky News.

"We will be offering customers alternative hotels within Hurghada, as well as giving them the option to return home".

"We are aware of the speculation in some of today's national media that their deaths may have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning".

Alison Cope, 44, from Moseley, Birmingham, who was among those who made a decision to fly home, said she had been at the hotel for two weeks and five out of seven of her family members have been ill for around 10 days. Ormerod, meanwhile, reportedly expressed concern to local officials that a malfunctioning AC may have contributed to her parents' deaths, per the Telegraph.

Related news