Man loses limbs after contracting an infection from a dog lick

Man loses limbs after contracting an infection from a dog lick

Man loses limbs after contracting an infection from a dog lick

A Wisconsin man had to have all his limbs amputated after he contracted a severe infection, likely from a dog lick.

Doctors believe he most likely contracted the bacteria by a lick from his own dog.

Greg Manteufel of West Bend lost both legs and both hands last month.

Within hours, his body started going into septic shock.

Greg Manteufel loves dogs and had been around eight of them about the time he became ill, according to his wife Dawn Manteufel. "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat", said his wife, Dawn Manteufel. However, there have only been about 500 cases logged in the US and Canada since 1976 of the bacteria causing sepsis when no dog bite was found.

The infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop, which is why the circulation to his limbs decreased, causing them to turn black. Writing in the medical journal BMJ Case Reports, they said she developed confusion, a headache, diarrhea, a high fever, and eventually sepsis and organ failure.

In 2016, doctors in London documented the case of a 70-year-old woman who had been infected with Capnocytophaga.

The Manteufel family created a GOFUNDME account to raise money for medical expenses.

Approximately 30% of people who do get infected die, which is why it's essential to see a doctor if you are bitten by an animal. Up to 74 percent of dogs have the bacteria and 57 percent of cats have it. Doctors flooded his body with antibiotics to stop the infection, but clots stopped the blood flow to his extremities, which forced them to amputate Manteufel's legs from the knee down, then his hands. She said she doesn't know which dog was carrying the bacteria that attacked her husband.

The 48-year-old has had to have all four of his limbs amputated. "It's just chance", she told the station.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help Greg buy replacement prosthetic legs. The Centers for Disease Control says that the type of Capnocytophaga bacteria found in human mouths tend to cause illnesses such as gum disease, respiratory tract infections and eye infections.

Capnocytophaga canimorsus is commonly transmitted by dog bites and is usually life-threatening to people who suffer from alcoholism or are asplenic, meaning their spleens don't function normally.

Related news