Man dies from bacterial infection from Vibrio vulnificus in raw oysters

Man dies from bacterial infection from Vibrio vulnificus in raw oysters

Man dies from bacterial infection from Vibrio vulnificus in raw oysters

The 71-year-old died July 10 from a bacterial infection caused by the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, reports the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

The Florida Department of Health has not released the man's identity or the restaurant where he ate, but CBS Miami reported the man died two days after eating the oysters, after contracting a Vibrio vulnificus infection.

The man had underlying medical conditions, a Florida Department of Health spokesman told WTLV-TV.

This is the first case and fatality involving flesh eating bacteria in Sarasota County this year.

Authorities have so far refused to reveal the man's identity and the name of the restaurant.

The bacteria, called Vibrio vulnificus, is often associated with eating raw or under-cooked shellfish. or entering into warm coastal waters with exposed wounds. However, the health department says that they can not provide the name of the restaurant the man purchased the oyster at or its specific location.

Healthy individuals develop mild disease from the infection but the infection can become more serious and even deadly in people with compromised immune systems, particularly those with a chronic liver disease.

Consuming raw oysters that have undergone a post-harvest treatment process to eliminate the bacteria can also reduce the risk of illness. While infections are rare, people can contract the bacteria by eating contaminated raw shellfish, or by exposing open wounds such as cuts or scrapes to water.

"The bacterium can invade the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness", the Florida Department of Health said".

Because the water is warmer, bacteria become more prevalent.

Florida's health department reports that there have been 16 cases of Vibriosis in the state this year and three patients have died.

Health officials advise those with weakened immune systems to wear proper foot protection to prevent cuts and injury caused by rocks and shells on the beach.

Related news