Entire Soccer Team, Coach Rescued From Cave In Thailand

Entire Soccer Team, Coach Rescued From Cave In Thailand

Entire Soccer Team, Coach Rescued From Cave In Thailand

Peoples celebrate after evacuation in Chiang Rai as divers evacuated some of the 12 boys and their coach trapped at Tham Luang cave in the Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province, northern Thailand, Tuesday, July 10, 2018.

The rescue of the first four boys had brought joy and relief to the families and friends of the 13, with one school friend of some of the boys telling media that he is very happy and thanking the rescue team for bringing his friends out.

Nineteen team members have entered the cave for the third rescue mission, he added.

Officials said all eight of the boys were healthy, though two of the four brought out Monday did have swollen lungs.

It is not yet clear what condition those brought out on Tuesday are in.

Tuesday's operation began just after 10 a.m.

The football team named Wild Boars entered the complex cave system after they had entered it on June 23 for the goal of exploration but got stranded after sudden flooding caused by heavy rain blocked the exit.

The last phase of the operation to rescue the remaining five is already underway, the chief of the painstaking operation to free them told reporters.

"On behalf of the United States, congratulations to the Thai Navy SEALs and all on the successful rescue of the 12 boys and their coach from the treacherous cave in Thailand", Trump said on Twitter.

It could be at least seven days before they can be released from hospital, Mr Jesada told a news conference.

"If the lab results are negative - no infection or any disease - they can visit but they have to wear [medical] gown, face mask and hair cap".

"The boys were asking for bread with chocolate spread", Jedsada said, adding that the request was granted but they were kept away from spicy food.

Four were rescued on Sunday and another four were rescued in a faster operation on Monday, after two weeks trapped in the cave complex in north-western Thailand.

But scattered monsoon rains continued to risk percolating through the limestone cave walls to flood the tunnels with water.

Head of the operation, Governor Narongsak Osatanakorn, earlier said the first 19 divers involved in the operation were sent in around 10am on Tuesday (local time). The rescue effort is slowed somewhat by the fact that the team must replenish supplies and oxygen tanks that line the 2.5-mile route out of the cave.

British divers found the 13, huddled on a muddy bank in a partly flooded chamber several kilometres inside the complex, on Monday last week.

Related news