Thai cave rescue: Journalist detained for drone stunt

Thai cave rescue: Journalist detained for drone stunt

Thai cave rescue: Journalist detained for drone stunt

A crack team of foreign divers and Thai Navy SEALS guided the boys during a nine-hour operation through almost 4 km of sometimes submerged, pitch-dark channels from where they have been trapped for more than a fortnight.

"It could be at least seven days before they can be released from hospital, Jesada told a news conference".

A letter sent to the president of the Football Association of Thailand invited the youngsters and their coach to the final in Russian Federation if they were also healthy enough to travel.

The boys spent the time regaining their strength with food and drink and learning to dive for the risky mission, while rescuers pumped as much water as possible from the lengthy network of caverns. It was an incredible result considering that the boys spent nine days incommunicado, without food, until they were found, and then waited days more before embarking on an hourslong dive that even the most skilled cave divers have described as among the most unsafe they have attempted.

The Thai football team rescued from a cave after 17 days underground will not attend the World Cup final due to medical reasons, FIFA has confirmed.

On Sunday, 14 days after the team first went missing, the divers took action, pulling the first group of four boys out of the cave.

Simmee Oupra has volunteered as a translator for the past 10 days at the press centre near the cave where 12 young boys and their soccer coach have been trapped for nearly three weeks. Two of them possibly have a lung infection but all eight are generally "healthy and smiling", he said.

The conditions in Thailand were "extreme", he said, adding: "If any people could execute this rescue successfully, it was our team of British divers".

Underscoring the danger behind the mission, Ivan Karadzic said, "They are diving in something considered an extremely hazardous environment".

Officials on Tuesday echoed expert comment on Musk's proposed technology to help save the boys. Those evacuated so far have been taken to hospital in Chiang Rai for treatment and observation.

Payap Maiming, who helped provide food and necessities for rescue workers and journalists, was not in doubt, however.

American billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk tweeted Monday that he had visited the cave and left behind a mini-sub rescue vehicle "in case it may be useful in the future".

They became trapped after heavy rains caused flooding.

He posted video of divers escorting the pod during testing in a Los Angeles swimming pool.

The first eight boys to exit the cave have been recovering in quarantine in Chiang Rai hospital. Musk had proposed possible technological solutions for extracting the boys while they were trapped and travelled to Thailand this week.

Related news