4 more boys brought out of flooded Thai cave

4 more boys brought out of flooded Thai cave

4 more boys brought out of flooded Thai cave

An ambulance was seen leaving the scene immediately afterward early Monday evening.

The risky bid to rescue the boys - aged between 11 and 16 - got going again hours earlier on Monday after a break to replenish oxygen supplies and make other preparations deep inside the cave complex. Eight boys and their soccer coach remain inside.

Police and military personnel use umbrellas to cover a stretcher as it is carried to a helicopter from an ambulance at a military airport in Chiang Rai, Thailand, on Monday, as rescue operations continued for those still trapped inside the cave in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in the Mae Sai district. The most recent helicopter took off from the site at 7:55pm.

The same process was used Sunday for at least one of the four boys rescued in the first attempt at getting the 12 boys and their coach out of the underground cave complex.

The head of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakorn, announced late on Sunday the first four children were brought out safely.

The rescued boys are being kept in sterilized isolation units at a nearby hospital, which prohibits physical contact, and their parents have not been told they're safe. It takes several hours.

Mr Narongsak allayed concerns that recent heavy rain might have raised water levels, saying conditions were "as good as yesterday" "We should hear good news again", he added.

A Thai army commander said the operation went "smoothly" but warned the next phase "will depend on all conditions" with rain forecast for the coming week.

An global team of expert divers-90 in all, 40 from Thailand and 50 from oversees-have been working in the area. Crews will have to replenish air tanks along the route before rescuing the others.

The four boys who were rescued on Sunday appeared to be in good health, Thai officials said, but were undergoing a battery of medical tests in the hospital to ensure they were free from disease and infection.

Narongsak said rescuers had to tighten a guide rope as part of their preparations for Monday's operation.

They will have to dive through narrow tunnels in dark, murky water, at some points stopping to remove the air tanks helping them to breathe because the tunnels are so small.

A relative of one member of the soccer team said that the boys' families had agreed to remain at the cave until all of the boys and the coach are brought out.

Officials said it had not changed the water level in the cave but forecasters have warned rain could continue to hit the area throughout the week.

The dozen boys between the ages of 11 and 16 are accompanied by their 25-year-old coach.

On Monday afternoon, Osatanakorn said the same group of divers involved in Sunday's rescue operation had entered the cave at 11 a.m. local time to rescue the group still stuck inside.

Elon Musk's Space X rocket company is testing a "kid-sized submarine" that could be sent to help boys trapped in a flooded Thailand cave. A few hours later, Michael Safi, a Guardian reporter, confirmed that the sixth boy had been rescued.

Related news