Suspected toxic attack in Syria prompts outrage

Suspected toxic attack in Syria prompts outrage

Suspected toxic attack in Syria prompts outrage

US President Donald Trump and French counterpart Emmanuel Macron have vowed a strong response to the suspected poison gas attack, which left dozens dead, and the UN Security Council was expected to discuss the crisis later on Monday.

Tawfik Chamaa, a Geneva-based Syrian doctor with the Syria-focused Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations (UOSSM), a network of Syrian doctors, said 150 people were confirmed dead and the number was growing.

Reports suggested more than 500 people, mostly women and children, were brought to medical centres with difficulty breathing, foaming at the mouth, and burning sensations in the eyes.

In response to the reports, Trump on Sunday blamed Syrian government forces for what he called a "mindless CHEMICAL attack".

"The evidence points towards yet another chemical attack by the regime", the bloc said in a statement.

Commenting on the incidents, the European Union called for an worldwide response to the attack. The Pentagon denied in a statement that the USA military had launched the missile strikes and would continue to "closely watch the situation". "I think that it is outrageous to say that the president of the United States green-lit something as atrocious as the actions that have taken place over the last several days", she said.

Trump warned there would be a "big price to pay" and called Assad an "animal".

"Israel strongly condemns the chemical attack by Syria in eastern Ghouta on April 4, exactly one year after the mass killing carried out by the regime in Khan Sheikhun".

The Syrian Foreign Ministry responded to the rebels' claims of chemical weapons use by the Syrian army in Douma district near Damascus as "premeditated pretexts", according to state news agency SANA.

Rami Abdurrahman, the Observatory's chief, said most of those killed were either Iranians or members of Iran-backed groups.

Turkey denounced the chemical attack in Douma: "We strongly condemn the attack, and we have the strong suspicion it was carried out by the regime, whose record on the use of chemical weapons is known by the worldwide community", the Turkish foreign ministry said in a statement.

Syrian doctors and rescue workers on Sunday shared with journalists graphic images of men, women and children they said had been killed or wounded in the attack. In admitting to having lost any faith in the moral rectitude of Western governments in matters of war and peace, I don't think that I am alone.

It confirms use of sarin in the Aug 21 attack in the Damascus suburb Ghouta that killed hundreds. "And of course Russian Federation is one of those backers", May said during a news conference in Denmark. Soon after word of the chemical attack spread, the USA rushed to follow the case seriously and of course this time, too, the Syrian government was in the center of the Washington blame. On Sunday morning, a civilian committee taking part in the talks between the rebels and Russian Federation announced "a ceasefire and the resumption of talks today" hoping it will lead to a "final accord".

That attack prompted Washington to launch military strikes against a regime military base. The investigators find that the Syrian government used helicopters to drop chlorine gas twice on civilian areas in Idlib province in 2014 and 2015.

A year ago, almost 100 people were killed in a strike on the northern town of Khan Sheikhoun that the United Nations has blamed on the Syrian air force.

Related news