Chibok Girls Will Never Be Forgotten Or Abandoned

Chibok Girls Will Never Be Forgotten Or Abandoned

Chibok Girls Will Never Be Forgotten Or Abandoned

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, said in a statement yesterday that Salkida's information was unknown to the federal government.

This screengrab taken on May 12, 2014, from a video of Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram obtained by AFP shows girls, wearing the full-length hijab and praying in an undisclosed rural location.br / Nigeria's government on MAy 17, 2017 said another Chibok girl was free, having escaped from Boko Haram Islamists more than three years after being kidnapped with more than 200 classmates.

Four years on from that tragic incident, more than 100 of the "Chibok girls" have yet to be returned to their families and the United Nations children's agency continues to call for their release.

In October 2016, Nigerian officials announce the release of 21 of the girls following talks between the government and Boko Haram, brokered by Switzerland and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The girls are part of the over 270 schoolgirls kidnapped by the terrorists in 2014.

NAIJ.com notes that in the tweets, the journalist, who is now based in Dubai, provided a background to the controversial abduction and stated that the remaining 15 have been married off, indoctrinated and may no longer be interested in returning home.

Ahmad Salkida said he had negotiated for the girls' release on behalf of the government, but several opportunities to have them freed had been missed.

Buhari however admitted that they may be some delay in securing their release following setbacks in talks with the terrorists.

He, therefore, urged the parents to be expectant of more good news in due course.

"We know that this is not the news parents want to hear after four years of waiting, but we want to be as honest as possible with you".

Shehu said the information at the disposal of government showed that the girls were alive, adding that government would not relent in securing their release.

"The four-year anniversary of the Chibok abduction reminds us that children in northeastern Nigeria continue to come under attack at a shocking scale", Fall said in a statement on UNICEF website.

Buhari said the return of so many students from Dapchi and Chibok "should give confidence that all hope is not lost" and showed the government was "doing its very best". "They are also advised not to lose faith in this government's ability to fulfil its promise that the girls will not be abandoned or forgotten".

"Don't imagine for a moment that we have forgotten about our daughters or that we consider their freedom a lost cause".

Related news