CSA: Postponing T20 Global League in best interest of tournament

CSA: Postponing T20 Global League in best interest of tournament

CSA: Postponing T20 Global League in best interest of tournament

The inaugural T20 Global League, the brainchild of Cricket South Africa (CSA), has been postponed to November 2018 instead of its original scheduled start of November 3 later this year.

Thabang Moroe took over from Haroon Lorgat, who parted ways with CSA on September 28, after his relationship with the organisation reached breaking point. "The best thing to do is stop the bleeding, take stock and come back stronger".

Interim CSA CEO Thabang Moroe says they discussed taking such a drastic decision with the franchise owners and that a re-assessment of their strategy dictated that postponing the competition is the best option. The left-armer pace bowler got released from his New Zealand Cricket contract to play in both the Australian Big Bash and the South African T20 Global League, while McCullum was a big-name signing alongside the likes of West Indies batsman Chris Gayle and former England worldwide Kevin Pietersen.

Hales, who is still waiting to hear the level of disciplinary action he faces from the European Central Bank following the arrest of Ben Stokes last month, turned down a contract in the Bangladesh Premier League to play in South Africa.

"Having discussed it with Mr. Moroe and Mr. Nenzani, we have arrived at a unanimous decision to defer the inaugural edition to next year. We appreciate the continued support of the individuals and organizations who have believed in this tournament", said Moroe in his brief statement.

On Tuesday, following a meeting of the CSA and the T20 Global League board along with consultations with the franchise owners, it was made a decision to postpone the inaugural edition to November, 2018.

He said the franchise owners are in support of the decision.

The CSA had reserved six weeks in the peak of summer, but this postponement means that there will be no domestic or worldwide action for that period.

However, the League is still looking for a title sponsor, while no broadcast deals have so far been established. "We are half-prepared and it will be a bigger disaster if we go this way".

Related news