'Crisp' encounter in Srinagar kills Lashkar commander, aide

'Crisp' encounter in Srinagar kills Lashkar commander, aide

'Crisp' encounter in Srinagar kills Lashkar commander, aide

SRINAGAR, Indian-controlled Kashmir, Sept. 14 (Xinhua) - A top militant commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant outfit Abu Ismail and his associate were killed Thursday in a brief gunfight with Indian troops in restive Indian-controlled Kashmir, police said.

Abu Ismail had replaced Abu Dujana who was killed by security forces in Pulwama.

As such the joint team of forces intensified the searches, the militants hiding in the area opened fire resultes into an encounter.

He said besides being mastermind of Amarnath yatra attack, Ismail was involved in many militant attacks on security forces.

Ismail, police said was a prime accused in the Amarnath bus attack that left seven dead.

"J&K Police was after Ismail since the Amarnath attack".

The official said the attack in Anantnag appears to be a reprisal for killing of several Lashkar militants including Bashir Lashkari in an encounter with security forces earlier this month. "This Operation is a result of people's prayers".

Ismail could be the fourth top militant leader killed in Kashmir since previous year. The other slain terrorist has been identified as Chota Qasim.

He said Abu Ismail was 'A ' category militant and active from a very long time.

According to security officials, they were tipped off about Ismail's presence in the area following which an operation was launched to track and eliminate him and his aides.

Meanwhile, the authorities have blocked 4G mobile internet services in the city following the killing of LeT commander. "After the attack on yatris, every section of people had condemned it and demanded that perpetrators should be brought to justice and today they were brought to justice by security forces", Khan said.

The investigation into the Amarnath attack showed that the terrorists wanted to take some pilgrims hostages. We killed Abu Qasim, Abu Dujana and now Abu Ismail.

"I compliment police for the high quality input and CRPF for making sure that there was no collateral damage in the area".

Related news