Kenyan challenger claims election was hacked, but John Kerry disagrees

Kenyan challenger claims election was hacked, but John Kerry disagrees

Kenyan challenger claims election was hacked, but John Kerry disagrees

Protests ensued in Nairobi after Kenya's main opposition leader, Raila Odinga, alleged "massive fraud" after results showed President Uhuru Kenyatta in a clear lead.

NASA, on Thursday (August 10), claimed that President Kenyatta's Jubilee Party infiltrated the IEBC election results transmission system and changed the numbers to give the incumbent a constant 10 percent lead.

But Kenyan election officials say only they have the authority to declare the victor, and global election observers say they have seen no signs of interfering with the vote.

Global elections monitors say they have seen no clear evidence to support such charges.

Following Mr. Odinga's claims, there were minor skirmishes in a Nairobi suburb and in Mombasa but residents in those areas said that criminals wanted to use the opportunity to loot while others wanted to settle scores.

Wafula Chebukati, chairman of the electoral commission, said a hacking attempt had failed to manipulate the outcome of the vote.

The country's election commission says Kenyatta won Tuesday's election with 54.27% of the vote, calling it "credible, fair and peaceful". "Elections come and go; Kenya is here to stay".

"Ours is just to pledge that we shall continue with the work that we have already started and rededicate ourselves even more towards serving this great nation and our people", Uhuru said in his acceptance speech at the Bomas of Kenya on Friday night.

"We do not want to see any violence in Kenya".

Kenya's election commission declared Friday that the 55-year-old businessman and son of the country's founding President had received enough votes to secure a second five-year term.

Most of Kenya has remained calm since the vote, but several people have been shot and killed in clashes between police and opposition supporters in poor neighbourhoods in Nairobi, as well as in the western city of Kisumu. "Let us be peaceful", Uhuru said.

James Orengo, another senior NASA official, called the election process a "charade" and a "disaster".

"The world is waiting for the final declaration of the election and the reactions", said Mr, Obasanjo. He added though, that the opposition doesn't plan on contesting the vote in court.

In recent days, opposition officials have described the election results as a fraud and claimed that Raila Odinga, the 72-year-old Nasa leader, was the legitimate victor.

In 2007, tallying was halted and the incumbent president declared the victor, triggering an outcry from Odinga's camp and waves of ethnic violence that led to International Criminal Court charges against Kenyatta and his now-deputy, William Ruto.

The electoral commission admitted that hackers had tried to access its database, but said they did not succeed.

Violence broke out this week in some opposition strongholds in parts of the capital, Nairobi, and elsewhere. Results could be announced within hours, though the election commission has until Tuesday to do it.

Polling stations opened at 6am and closed at 5pm but many were in the queues as early as 2am.

Related news