Copper cocktail mugs can be poisonous, health officials say

Copper cocktail mugs can be poisonous, health officials say

Copper cocktail mugs can be poisonous, health officials say

This cocktail is served in a copper mug, and it is common for whoever drinks it to start feeling sick.

Part of the fun of ordering a fancy cocktail is seeing what kind of fancy presentation it comes in. Now copper mugs are available for cheap in every hipster housewares store.

It may be time to put away those trendy copper mugs - what you put in them could lead to copper poisoning.

Moscow Mules, a delicious combo of vodka, ginger beer and lime, is usually served in a copper mug.

There may be no other alcoholic cocktail as immediately recognizable as a Moscow mule.

"The pH of a traditional Moscow Mule is well below 6.0", the bulletin reads.

In Iowa, the metal is prohibited from coming in direct contact with foods or drinks that have a pH below 6.0 - such as vinegar, fruit juice and wine.

Copper mugs that are lined on the interior with another metal (nickel or stainless steel) are allowed to be used. Lawmakers' reasoning is that the combination of the copper in the mug and the acidity of the beverage could possibly cause copper poisoning.

Health officials of the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division examined what happens when copper mixes with food.

Copper-coated mug or not, drink safely!

Recently, Moscow Mules have resurfaced as a popular drink thanks to its Instagram appeal.

The side effects of copper poisoning include stomach pains, yellowing of the skin, diarrhea and vomiting, according to CBS Chicago.

The Alcoholic Beverages Division said it issued the advisory because of the recent rise in popularity of Moscow mules, which has led to questions about the safety of copper containers for this beverage.

For more information on copper poisoning, you can call the CDC at 800-CDC-INFO or visit the CDC's website on copper.

Related news