Remains of 9/11 victim identified 16 years after terror attacks

Remains of 9/11 victim identified 16 years after terror attacks

Remains of 9/11 victim identified 16 years after terror attacks

Almost 16 years after the September 11, 2001, attacks and with the benefit of new DNA technology, forensic experts have identified another victim who was killed at the World Trade Center, officials said Monday.

The family of the man have requested that they keep his name private and out of the public, a NY medical examiner's office said yesterday.

The last positive ID came two years ago in March of 2015.

The office was able to do the retesting with DNA technology acquired earlier this year, spokeswoman Julie Bolcer said. He is the 1,641st victim of the 2,753 killed at the lower Manhattan site that day to be identified. Most of the DNA profiles generated belong to previously identified victims.

There are more than 21,900 pieces of remains yet unidentified.

In 2013, authorities sifted through truckloads of debris unearthed by construction crews working on the rebuilding.

In some cases, scientists have re-examined the same bone fragment 10 or more times - hopeful that advancements in technology will provide answers. Hardly any full bodies were recouped after the goliath towers consumed and fallen, and the impacts of warmth, microbes and chemicals, for example, stream fuel made it all the more hard to examine the remaining parts.

It's thought that a total of 2,996 lost their lives that day in NY as well as at the Pentagon in Virginia and a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, while thousands more were injured.

Related news