Judge set to decide on Charlie Gard's last days

Judge set to decide on Charlie Gard's last days

Judge set to decide on Charlie Gard's last days

Staff will work in shifts after a judge ruled the terminally-ill 11-month-old baby would spend the last part of his life in a hospice.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates had fought for months against a London hospital's recommendation that the child be taken off the life support he needs to stay alive with a rare mitochondrial condition.

Great Ormond Street said it had "moved heaven and earth" to find a hospice willing to take Charlie but even so his death must take place on the day he arrives, for insurance reasons.

Mr Justice Francis said he had been hoping for consensus. The hospital had suggested a hospice option.

After announcing their decision to end their legal battle with GOSH at the High Court in London, Gard said: "This is one of the hardest things we will have to say.this is about a sweet innocent boy born with a disease".

Armstrong said Charlie's parents regarded that as only "a notch better" than the hospital.

Charlie suffers from mitochondrial depletion syndrome, a rare genetic disease, and can not breathe unassisted.

NURSES at Great Ormond Street Hospital volunteered to work overtime to care for Charlie Gard in his last hours, as his parents reluctantly accepted they can not take him home to die.

Mr Armstrong said Great Ormond Street bosses were not satisfied that a properly qualified specialist would be in charge under the couple's plan. The hospital recommended a hospice, but said that life support would be withdrawn after a few hours, contrary to Chris and Connie's wishes of wanting days with their son.

However the hospital said Charlie's "invasive ventilation" required constant monitoring by a trained nurse, with a doctor on call and close at hand.

The dispute first made headlines months ago, when Charlie's parents wanted to take him to the United States to undergo experimental treatment.

In May, the Court of Appeal upheld the ruling, and judges for the European Court of Human Rights declined to intervene in June.

His parents said they knew the chance of the experimental treatment working was slim, but they wanted to try anyway for Charlie's sake.

'Anything that can encourage them to spend the last few days with Charlie rather than with lawyers or experts has to be in everyone's best interests'.

The couple abandoned their legal fight on Monday after concluding that Charlie had deteriorated to the "point of no return". "Unfortunately, a MRI scan of Charlie's muscle tissue conducted in the past week has revealed that it is very unlikely that he would benefit from this treatment".

Related news