Southampton ask Premier League to probe alleged illegal approach for Van Dijk

Southampton FC are reporting LFC to the Premier League over what they deem an "illegal approach" for their Dutch defender Virgil van Dijk.

Jurgen Klopp was said to be a factor in the 25-year-old choosing Anfield over City, while Chelsea were also said to be interested.

The Netherlands global joined Southampton from Celtic in 2015 for just £13m.

A fee is yet to be agreed between Southampton and Liverpool, but the player is keen on moving to Liverpool, it is likely to be sorted out pretty soon.

The new deal was a reward for a series of impressive performances at the heart of Saints' defence although he has not played since January after sustaining ankle ligament damage.

On Monday, rumours started sprouting up that Virgil Van Dijk is poised to become the latest Saints star to join Liverpool. They want the Premier League to look into whether any rules have been broken.

Van Dijk's alleged preference for a switch to Jurgen Klopp's side marks a coup for Liverpool, who will also have to fight off interest for his signature.

Jurgen Klopp's side are now priced at 10/11 to again finish in the top four next season.

Over the past few months, Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger, executive director Les Reed, and the Saints manager Claude Puel have maintained that Van Dijk is not for sale.

However, BBC Radio Solent and other media outlets reported later on Tuesday Southampton were unhappy and had asked the Premier League to probe whether there had been an illegal approach by Liverpool.

Numerous stories from them also state that Van Dijk's desire to join the club was because of Jurgen Klopp's involvement in recruitment, prompting the.

In fairness, most of Liverpool's transfer swoops upon St. Mary's have paid off with Rickie Lambert a notable exception.

Related news