O'Reilly is out at Fox News amid sexual harassment accusations
Not to mention, an insider told CNN that the political commentator and reps for the news channel have already "begun talking about an exit".
Vatican spokesman Greg Burke confirmed O'Reilly was in the VIP section for the pope's Wednesday appearance. A representative for O'Reilly, who has been off the air on vacation since April 11, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File).
Carlson's show had moved to the 9 p.m. spot Megyn Kelly left Fox News in November. He still went ahead and signed a new contract with Fox, however.
The show itself will be removed from the lineup beginning Monday.
That put pressure on 21st Century Fox and the Murdoch family, which controls the company.
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly was sacked on Wednesday over the multiple allegations of sexual harassment against him. "You can't underestimate the influence and the profits that he brought into Fox News for all these years and that's why they hesitated so long in doing the right thing".
"I think that O'Reilly is going to struggle tremendously to return because he won't have the platform", Eric Schiffer, crisis/brand management expert and CEO of ReputationManagementConsultants.com, tells PEOPLE.
And he keeps echoing in the broader media landscape.
Wednesday's new denial by O'Reilly - calling the harassment claims unfounded - may be significant to potential business partners.
Paul Janensch, a former newspaper editor and retired journalism professor at Quinnipiac University, said in the end it came down to money and the "paradox" that while ratings were up, advertisers were fleeing in their droves.
O'Reilly and co-author Martin Dugard are due to release another book in the "Killing" series in September, and a spokeswoman for publisher Henry Holt and Co. said that plans had not changed.
"He helped shape the kind of very polarized discourse that has come to define politics over the past few years in America", Hollihan said.
Earlier this month, The New York Times reported that O'Reilly and Fox News paid a collective $13 million to five women who alleged O'Reilly had harassed them. Despite increased viewers, dozens of advertisers pulled their commercials from "The O'Reilly Factor" because of the allegations.
The Murdoch sons decided they could not tolerate O'Reilly's reported behavior - problematic enough to pay settlement claims - after ousting Ailes and announcing that 21st Century Fox would be a more enlightened workplace.
This decision follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel. Shares of Twenty-First Century Fox were down less than 1 percent at $30.50 in Wednesday afternoon trading.
President Donald Trump, an avid Fox News viewer who has also been accused of sexual harassment, leapt to O'Reilly's defense following the "New York Times" report, calling him "a good person". These included Mitsubishi Motors, which spent about $2.1 million for ads on O'Reilly's show in 2016, making it the show's fifth-largest advertiser.
FILE - This Oct. 13, 2012 file photo shows Fox News commentator and author Bill O'Reilly at the Comedy Central "Night Of Too Many Stars: America Comes Together For Autism Programs" at the Beacon Theatre in NY.
While O'Reilly insisted he was independent - he described his program as the "No-Spin Zone" - he was more critical of progressive-leaning ideas and often decried the loss of what he called traditional American values that he believed in while growing up in a modest household in the Long Island suburbs during the 1950s and '60s.