Woman faces Paris judge in probe of female 'terror commando'

Woman faces Paris judge in probe of female 'terror commando'

Woman faces Paris judge in probe of female 'terror commando'

French prosecutors have charged one of four women arrested over a foiled terror attack near Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.

Many of those involved in recent attacks in France have either taken part in the fighting or had plans to.

Investigators told AFP Ornella G. and Madani had apparently tried to set fire to the vehicle but "fled when they saw a man they believed to be a plain-clothes policeman".

The suspect was remanded in custody on charges of attempted murder and terrorist association.

"Every day the intelligence services, the police and the military are preventing attacks, dismantling networks that are coming out of Iraq and Syria", Valls said on Europe 1 radio. Another man, the fiance of the 23-year-old woman, has also since been arrested, as has the 15-year-old daughter of one of the women, who was also radicalized, Molins said.

The trio have not yet been charged. They were likely planning an imminent attack, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.

The teenager was detained in eastern Paris on Saturday after having been under house arrest since April for suspected links to ISIL members.

Notre Dame
Vittorio Zunino Celotto Getty Images

The women and their associates had already been under surveillance but the discovery of the gas-filled vehicle near Notre Dame had pitted the security forces in "a race against time" to arrest them, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.

After police shot and killed Abballa, she then was supposed to marry Adel Kermiche, who killed a priest in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, France, in July before he was killed by police. "Each time I say those words, because it's my role, I realise the importance and gravity of it".

"This amounts to networks that have been dismantled and attacks that have been prevented", Cazeneuve said, giving no further details about the arrests.

Former President Nicolas Sarkozy, who is campaigning to return to office, wants special courts and detention facilities to boost security.

After that deadly episode, France declared a state of emergency.

He added that 17 foreigners had been expelled this year for posing a "serious threat to public order".

The latest was a Russian national, Mansur Kudusov, who was expelled on Friday after being jailed for breaching house arrest, he said.

Related news