IS attack targets Turkey-backed Syrian rebels

Last week, Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country would continue its military operation in Syria, despite the U.S. expressing "deep concern" about Turkish strikes on Kurdish-aligned groups that Washington has backed in its battle against IS.

Turkish forces and their Syrian rebel allies began the August 24 offensive by seizing Jarablus, a Syrian frontier town, from Islamic State, before turning their sights on what the army said were YPG positions.

However, Turkey's minister of European Union affairs, Omer Celik, on Wednesday dismissed those reports, while the spokesman for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said such a deal was "out of the question", insisting the Kurdish Syrian militiamen will remain a target for Turkey until they move east of the Euphrates River.

Ankara's offensive has alarmed the West, with Washington saying that action aimed at the YPG, part of a USA -backed coalition also fighting against Islamic State, risks undermining the broader goal of ridding Syria of the jihadist group.

State media said troops were providing support to Syrian opposition fighters in al Rai, after ridding northern villages of extremists in its intervention. Washington has appealed on both Ankara and Syrian Kurds to stop fighting each other.

In comments made to the state-run Anadolu news agency on Wednesday, EU Minister Omer Celik says, "Turkey is a sovereign state, it is a legitimate state".

"The PYD, as the Syrian extension of the PKK, is a terror organization", Kalin said.

Turkey considers the YPG to be an offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) - a group striving for an independent Kurdish state in Turkey - which Ankara has declared a terrorist organisation. Erdogan will hold discussions on the issue during the G-20 summit in China, he added.

However Turkish forces have aslo targeted YPG forces, refusing to cease their attack until the Kurdish militia move to the east of the Euphrates river.

Related news